Monday, October 30, 2006

Separated at Birth


The early morning serenades are wearing thin now. In anticipation of the disruption owing to the clocks changing and the possibility of being woken up at 4.30am (in new money), Mr Duck and I retired at 9pm on Saturday evening. Sure enough, the 'extra hour in bed' did not materialise. Sweeping the curtains aside to reveal burgeoning daylight served only to confirm Tiddler's assertion that it was indeed 'morningtime'. Even Scooby Doo wasn't about at that ungodly hour and the Little Ducks had to make do with The Raccoons.

I remember watching this years ago and had failed to spot how ahead of its time it was. I am impressed with its green central message - don't knock down the forests to pursue the greed and commercial ends of cigar-chewing, gold-toothed developers like Cyril Sneer.

And then it struck me. Isn't he the inspiration for Watto in Star Wars - even down to the voice?

George Lucas is a Raccoons fan. I'm not sure how I feel about that.